TOPICS & TIMES:
- COVID & this past season (4:00)
- How long have you been at CPG? (9:50)
- How & when did you meet Paul Forward? (14:57)
- Growing up (17:28)
- The evolution of heli skiing (24:18)
- Safety assessment tools & advances (32:12)
- Decision making (39:03)
- Bad Decisions vs Wrong Decisions (45:31)
- Fear / Stress Meter (53:01)
- Memory, Hans Georg Gadamer, & Winnie the Pooh (54:50)
- Environmentalism, Sustainability, & Heli Skiing (1:05:17)
- projectdrawdown.com (1:15:33)
I was supposed to be in Girdwood, Alaska, a few weeks ago having this conversation in person with Henry Munter, but COVID changed all that. But Henry is a very interesting guy, so I didn’t want to postpone our conversation.
Henry is a lead heli guide and the general manager of Chugach Powder Guides in Girdwood, AK, and we discuss making the call to shut down operations right as the heli season was in full swing; the evolution of heli skiing over the past 20-30 years; decision making, memory, and some of the tools and practices and books that Henry uses in forecasting, guiding clients, and handling all types of different aspects of the business; and we discuss environmentalism and heli skiing, and how Henry and others at CPG are thinking about those two things.