Simply put, Daron Rahlves is the man. He is the most decorated American male Downhill and Super G skier in history, with 12 World Cup race wins, 28 World Cup podium finishes, and 7 US National Titles. And after a dominant career in downhill, Daron transitioned to skier cross competition, then transitioned again a few years later to big mountain skiing, where he filmed with both Warren Miller and Teton Gravity Research. (And there’s a whole lot more that Rahlves has accomplished, too much to go into.)
In short, few (if any) skiers have exhibited the versatility and had the broad-ranging success that Daron has.
Then in 2011, Daron started the Rahlves’ Banzai Tour, and the 6th edition of the Banzai Tour takes place this weekend, February 27-28.
So we talked to Daron about the upcoming Banzai Tour and a whole bunch of other stuff, including:
• His background + World Cup and Olympic competition
• The perfect week: skiing pow with Jonny Moseley and Shane McConkey, then heading off to race
• His favorite memory of Shane
• Whether he would compete in ski racing or freeride comps if he were a kid today?
• His favorite racers to watch these days
• Whether he thinks freeride / big mountain skiing should be in the Olympics
• Why he considers the Banzai Tour to be “the purest form of racing.”
• And why it’s important to maintain his title as the reigning Bonzai Master (aside from the fact that it’s the coolest title ever)
Related Photos, Videos, and Links
• Daron’s winning skier cross run in X Games 2008:
• Banzai Tour 2015 highlights:
• For More Information regarding this year’s Banzai Tour, go to: