What does the future of skiing and snowboarding look like? I recently spoke to the CEO of Alpine-X, John Emery, about his vision of developing indoor snowsports destinations in North American metropolitan markets.
Could this have a similar effect that indoor climbing gyms have had on the popularity of climbing? Could such indoor facilities help create a more inclusive and more diverse snowsports demographic? Could this lead to a world where some people only ski indoors? We discuss all of this and more.
TOPICS & TIMES:
- What is Alpine-X? (3:44)
- Development plans (4:55)
- Opening dates & locations (11:07)
- Challenges (13:29)
- Replicating skiing indoors (17:57)
- Increasing accessibility (27:00)
- Cost & pass types (32:47)
- Parallels to indoor climbing gyms? (36:42)