Avalanche beacons might not be as sexy as other ski & snowboard gear, but their proper use and design can be the difference between life and death. So I sat down with the co-founder of Backcountry Access, Bruce Edgerly, to talk about avalanche transceiver design, backcountry safety research, and the most important — yet often overlooked — aspects of a rescue.
I learned a lot talking to Bruce, so I think you will find this conversation both interesting and informative.
TOPICS & TIMES:
- BCA’s transceiver design philosophy + a new Tracker (1:21)
- Improving backcountry strategy & increasing your safety (7:24)
- Scenario: multiple burials (13:59)
- Ski media & backcountry safety (16:28)
- How old is too old when it comes to transceivers? (18:50)
- The changing backcountry scene (20:31)