Back in 2010, Sebastian Steinbach had the crazy idea to go against traditional European ski culture and open a freeride-specific shop in Munich, Germany. Black Sheep Sports became one of the first dedicated freeride shops in Europe, and it has since evolved into one of the best freeride and backcountry shops in the Alps — which is precisely why Black Sheep is on our list of Blister Recommended Shops.
Blister senior editor, Sam Shaheen, was in Munich earlier this season to talk with Sebastian about how Black Sheep got started, the ski culture in Europe vs the ski culture in North America, and about some of Sebastian’s current favorite skis and boots for skiing in Europe.
TOPICS & TIMES:
- Justin Bobb on his favorite Marble beer, Marble Red Ale (1:23)
- Why the name “Black Sheep”? (7:50)
- The crazy idea of opening a freeride shop in Europe??? (11:16)
- European race & ski touring culture vs freeride culture (14:56)
- Off-Piste Skiing & Resort Boundary Lines — US vs Europe (18:49)
- For skiing in the Alps, which skis & brands are you currently high on? (25:21)
- Which ski boots are you most excited about? (32:48)
- Interlude: Breakfast Beer! (36:12)
- Back to ski boots & ski bindings (36:48)