Today we are launching a new mini-series on GEAR:30, where we talk to key designers and product people in the world of snowsport and bike helmets to stitch together a current state of helmet tech and helmet R&D — specifically as it relates to snowsports and cycling.
To get things started, we are talking with Ståle Møller, the co-founder and hardgoods designer of Sweet Protection, about the pros and cons of the two different safety certifications; advances in materials & our understanding of head injuries; ventilation; the unique challenges of designing helmets for various activities; and how to know when you ought to replace your helmet.
TOPICS & TIMES:
- History of Sweet Protection (4:11)
- Safety Certifications: European vs North American standards (10:00)
- Rotational forces (16:12)
- Weight & Volume (26:35)
- Sweet’s New System: 2VI (32:10)
- Snow vs Bike helmets (32:55)
- Kayaking helmets: different challenges (36:31)
- Road bike vs. Mtn Bike Helmets (43:52)
- Sweet’s Trailblazer & Trailblazer MIPS mtb helmets (46:51)
- Sweet’s Falconer road bike helmet (49:23)
- When should you replace a helmet? (51:39)
- Sustainability (57:37)