Our guest today is Carl Moriarty, who was previously the Design Director at Arc’teryx, and is currently the Design Director at Rapha.
We discuss Carl’s interesting background and career in the outdoor industry, and then we dive into several principles of technical apparel design; the pros and cons of various technologies; the challenge of balancing high performance with sustainability; and how being clear on these things can help us evaluate advertising claims about new pieces.
TOPICS & TIMES:
- From New Zealand to Australia to Vancouver to London (2:28)
- Waterproof / Breathable Apparel (10:32)
- Breathable vs. Air Permeable Apparel (15:34)
- DWRs & fluorocarbons: truth in advertising (24:07)
- What We’re Celebrating (39:52)