TOPICS & TIMES:
- Scott’s background in product innovation (1:00)
- Why was Futurelight designed? (4:25)
- Futurelight vs. Polartec Neoshell (14:50)
- “Tuning” Futurelight for different designs (16:27)
- Durability? (25:01)
- Athlete testing at The North Face (31:45)
- Competing with GORE (50:37)
- Sustainability & Futurelight (54:35)
The North Face is attempting to do something that many have tried, but few have succeeded: compete head-to-head with Gore-Tex in the waterproof / breathable fabric category.
So we talked with Scott Mellin, the Global General Manager of Mountain Sports at The North Face, about their new fabric technology, Futurelight; the ideas behind it; what sets it apart in the crowded waterproof / breathable fabric market; sustainability practices related to Futurelight; some stories from athlete testing, and much more.