TOPICS & TIMES:
- Current debates about e-Bikes (2:26)
- IMBA’s role and stance (6:03)
- What groups does IMBA hear from the most? (11:42)
- Arguments against e-bike trail access (13:13)
- Arguments for e-bike trail access (24:11)
- Why distinguish between classes of bikes? (26:47)
- Have there been many on-trail issues with e-bikes? (36:12)
- What’s the best way forward? (41:10)
What do politics, religion, and e-Bikes have in common? They’re all topics that get people extremely worked up, often devolve into name calling, and rarely are productive. And this needs to change, because e-Bikes are not going away — quite the opposite — so this is not some fringe issue that we can simply ignore.
And given this, we need to figure out fast how to have more useful and productive conversations about e-bikes — and, in particular e-mountain bikes.
So, to this end, we’re talking today to Dave Wiens, the executive director of the International Mountain Biking Association, to have Dave explain what all the fuss is about; identify what the biggest issues are with e-mountain bikes; present the concerns that the advocates of — and the opponents of — e-bikes most need to understand; and weigh in on what the best way forward looks like.
And our hope here is that all of us will gain a clearer understanding of the relevant issues, and a better appreciation of the concerns that exist on both sides of the debate. Because if we can pull that off, that actually would constitute a solid step forward.
And so, let’s see if we can get there with the help of IMBA director, Dave Wiens.