TOPICS & TIMES:
- Sawyer and Riis’ background (6:58)
- Who is John Colter? (9:02)
- The logistics of the route (17:00)
- The skiing element of the adventure (23:37)
- The best moment of the expedition (29:39)
- The running portion of the project (39:20)
- Biggest takeaways from the adventure? (46:14)
While most of us know the explorers, Lewis & Clarke, the exploits of John Colter (who was a member of Lewis & Clarke’s famous expedition) might be a bit less familiar, but they are arguably even wilder. And in their short film, Colter: A Legacy of Adventure, Sawyer Thomas and Riis Wilbrecht set out to venture through the territory John Colter had explored two centuries ago, across some of the most remote terrain in the lower 48 states.
So we talked to Sawyer and Riis about John Colter and why they chose this particular adventure; the (serious) difficulty of running, skiing, and trekking through this terrain; the logistics of shooting this film; and more.
Watch the whole film here: