TOPICS & TIMES
- What is Gather about? (2:47)
- Sanjay’s other films (5:33)
- How did you get involved with this story? (7:22)
- The broader relevance of Gather (15:50)
- Urban farming & other food systems (23:27)
- How Gather is shifting perspectives (27:46)
- Protest & “appropriate” forms of protest (32:01)
- What’s your ideal outcome from this film? (42:53)
Today we are talking with our friend, Sanjay Rawal, about his new film, Gather. Sanjay is a fantastic storyteller and a maker of films that might seem to have a pretty specific focus, but actually have wide-ranging applicability and relevance.
And this is most definitely true of his latest film, Gather, which Sanjay directed, the extremely talented Renan Ozturk served as the cinematographer, and Jason Momoa is an executive producer.
Gather tells the story of the growing food sovereignty movement among Native American tribes across the U.S. — which is a historical and a current cultural development that I suspect too many of us know too little about. I promise that this film will make you re-evaluate your own relationship to food and land and a lot of other things.
Gather can be found here and viewed online this Thursday, June 11th through June 20th, you can get news about the film and future releases on social media @gatherfilm, and you can watch the trailer below.
Other podcast conversations we’ve had with Sanjay and Renan Ozturk: