TOPICS & TIMES:
- Donuts & Donut money (2:10)
- Winning the USA FIT Marathon (4:28)
- Getting into running to impress a boyfriend (9:54)
- Winning Leadville (13:00)
- Ultrarunning vs. Parenting (17:04)
- Trail running in San Antonio (24:22)
- Training in a flat region (30:00)
- Band of Runners (bandofrunners.org) (31:30)
- Training in heat for elevation? (43:12)
- Wilderness courses & trail running (45:50)
- Aging & Expectations (49:25)
- Liza’s goals for 2020 & 2021 (56:58)
Liza Howard is smart, funny, accomplished, humble, and by her own account … is extremely susceptible to peer pressure.
She’s run marathons to impress a guy, still runs marathons for donut money, has won the Leadville 100 (and other big races) multiple times, is a coach, a parent, a NOLS Wilderness instructor, and the director of the terrific non-profit, Band of Runners.
This conversation between me, Brendan Leonard, and Liza ranges from the absurd to the profound; upsets a lot of preconceived notions and conventional wisdom; and will make you laugh and think in equal measure.
In short, Liza is a joy, and this conversation is a gift.