TOPICS & TIMES:
- Marcel Hirscher & Bode Miller’s insane attunement (4:11)
- How many boots does Marcel bring to a race? (18:46)
- WC ski racers vs. WC DH bike racers (22:40)
- Mikaela Shriffin’s boot preferences (33:20)
- Which racers wear the stiffest boots? (36:40)
- Forward Lean / measuring forward lean (44:27)
- ‘Static’ power straps vs ‘elastic’ Booster Straps (59:24)
- Why it’s so hard to name ski boots (1:12:03)
How do elite ski racers like Marcel Hirsher, Mikaela Shiffrin, Bode Miller, and Daron Rahlves approach their gear, and their ski boots in particular? Today, Matt Manser and I discuss how some of the all-time greats “feel” their gear, and how they are almost superhumanly attuned to the slightest changes of a binding or ski boot.
We also discuss Forward Lean (how to measure it, whether lots or less of it is better, etc.); ‘static’ power straps vs. ‘elastic’ Booster Straps; who is pickier about their equipment — WC skiers or WC DH mountain bikers?; and more.
- For more on Matt Manser’s own background, check out Blister Podcast, episode #63