Our guest today is Neli Vasquez Rowland, who, in addition to being an avid runner, is the co-founder and president of A Safe Haven, which is a Chicago-based nonprofit whose goal is to end homelessness by providing permanent housing solutions to help people on the path of self-sufficiency.
So we talk to Neli about A Safe Haven’s comprehensive approach; how and why their model could be adopted by other cities around the world; their Run to End Homelessness; and more.
TOPICS & TIMES:
- Running in Chicago (0:53)
- What is A Safe Haven (5:14)
- What led you to start A Safe Haven? (6:30)
- A Safe Haven’s approach (15:00)
- Neli’s book, HEALING (18:04)
- Who qualifies for the program? (19:58)
- A Safe Haven’s housing options (28:48)
- How does this compare to other programs? (29:40)
- Providing jobs to break the cycle (33:38)
- What could other cities be doing better? (38:25)
- Expanding A Safe Haven to other locations (52:50)
- What policies or laws most need to be changed? (1:01:05)
- A Run to End Homelessness (1:08:58)