Last time Jason Hardrath was on Off The Couch he teased a future project that involved a trip down to Mexico, a volcano, and a whole lot of running and climbing, but aside from those hints, gave no major clues as to what exactly he had cooked up. Well, during his spring break from teaching earlier this year, Jason, together with his buddy Nathan Longhurst and a lean film crew, set out to complete what is affectionately known as an “infinity loop” on Mexico’s Pico de Orizaba (18,491′), the tallest volcano in North America. Without spoiling anything, Jason’s project predictably turned into quite the sufferfest, so I sat down with him to hear all about it in anticipation of the upcoming film that documents the attempt.
TOPICS & TIMES:
- Pico de Orizaba & HAPE (2:41)
- History of the “Infinity Loop” Format (40:18)
- Previous Attempts (19:42)
- How Health Issues Almost Derailed the Project (24:06)
- Traveling in Mexico (35:05)
- The Legend of Nathan Longhurst (40:18)